Home Resource Links Forms Newsletter Utah Bulletin Board FAQ Contact Us About Us Site Map  
Getting Started
Get Diagnosed
Gathering Important Information
Organizing Your Information
The Educated Parent
Early Intervention
What To Do First
What is Early Intervention?
Keeping an IEP Notebook
Preparing for an IEP Meeting
Conducting an IEP Meeting
Individuals With Disabilities Act
IDEA ACT - A Quick Reference
IDEA Legal Text
Family Finances
Recommended Resources
Introduction to Universal Housing Design
Housing options
Building a New House ~ That Works!
Introduction to Universal Housing Design
Entrances and Thresholds
Single Family Home Resources
Remodeled Bathroom
Ceiling Lifts
Problem Spaces
Adding a Ramp
Good Restroom
Not So Good Restrooms
Great Space Adaptions
Not So Great Adaptations
Ramp Design
Ramp Design (Part 2)
Commercial Ramps
Public Access Ramps
Adding a Ramp
Retrofit Door Sill Ramp
Medical Bills
Filing an Appeal
Medical Expenses and Income Taxes
Finding Help for the Uninsured or Underinsured
Free or Discounted Prescription Programs
Medicaid Waivers
Legal Adults - Introduction
Guardianship and Declaration of Incapacitation
Establishing Guardianship and Obtaining a Declaration of Incapacitation
Dependency Determination (Military)
When to Start the Transition Process
Begin Transition - Age 14-16
Exploring Possibilities and Guardianship Issues - Age 17
Age 18
After High School Graduation - Age 19-22
Post High School Education Options
Future Housing Options
Specialized Medical Equipment
Wheelchair Evaluation
Wheelchair Safety
Introduction: Special Needs and the Military Family
DEERS & ID Cards
Dependency Determination
TriCare Introduction
TriCare Program Options
Exceptional Family Member Program (EFMP)
Individual Case Management
TriCare Extended Care Health Option (ECHO)
Early Intervention
Housing Options
Family Support Services
Community Contacts
Letters of Medical Sufficiency
Wheelchair Accessible Vans
Van Conversion: A good Example
Fund Raising - The Flamingo Air Project
Utah DSPD Complaint List Winter 2011

Age 18

Obtain Guardianship and a Declaration of Incapacitation, if you have not already done so. (See Establishing Guardianship)

Apply for Supplemental Security Income

At age 18, a person with disabilities will be eligible for Supplemental Security Income (SSI) and other assistance programs. You will need to contact your local Social Security Administration Office to obtain the necessary forms and to set up your initial appointment. Some case managers can do this process over the phone; others will require an office appointment depending on the situation. Case Managers doing an initial investigation for eligibility will generally have an e-mail address for ease of communication and will require ORIGINAL documents. This includes birth certificates, Social Security Cards, etc. They will copy the documents and send them back to you. DO NOT SEND NOTORIZED COPIES! These documents must be originals.

Contact the toll free number for the Social Security Administration, (800) 772-1213, and they will refer you directly to the office in your area.

The SSA also directs work incentive programs, which may also apply. Ask your contact person for information regarding these programs.

Apply for Medicaid OR a Medicaid Waiver

Medicaid is one of the primary medical supports for people with disabilities. Generally, Medicaid is available to low-income families and those receiving SSI. To apply for traditional Medicaid an application must be made through your state Medicaid office. Each State has it's own Medicaid office. See the Resource Links in your state for the contact information for the office near you. Contact them directly to apply.

OR.... An individual who does NOT qualify for traditional Medicaid MAY qualify for benefits and funding through several Waivers currently available but which may vary from state to state. You will need to contact YOUR state DSPD office for further program information. Many waivers have more liberal eligibility guidelines that are not based on family income. When you receive services through the Department of Services For People With Disabilities (DSPD), you may be eligible for a Medicaid Waiver. Ask if your child may qualify.

The three of the more common waiver programs currently in use are:

  • Developmental Disability or Mental Retardation Waiver.
  • Brain Injury Waiver.
  • Physical Disabilities Waiver.

For more information and to apply contact your State DSPD office.