Home Resource Links Forms Newsletter Utah Bulletin Board FAQ Contact Us About Us Site Map  
Getting Started
Get Diagnosed
Gathering Important Information
Organizing Your Information
The Educated Parent
Early Intervention
What To Do First
What is Early Intervention?
Keeping an IEP Notebook
Preparing for an IEP Meeting
Conducting an IEP Meeting
Individuals With Disabilities Act
IDEA ACT - A Quick Reference
IDEA Legal Text
Family Finances
Recommended Resources
Introduction to Universal Housing Design
Housing options
Building a New House ~ That Works!
Introduction to Universal Housing Design
Entrances and Thresholds
Single Family Home Resources
Remodeled Bathroom
Ceiling Lifts
Problem Spaces
Adding a Ramp
Good Restroom
Not So Good Restrooms
Great Space Adaptions
Not So Great Adaptations
Ramp Design
Ramp Design (Part 2)
Commercial Ramps
Public Access Ramps
Adding a Ramp
Retrofit Door Sill Ramp
Medical Bills
Filing an Appeal
Medical Expenses and Income Taxes
Finding Help for the Uninsured or Underinsured
Free or Discounted Prescription Programs
Medicaid Waivers
Legal Adults - Introduction
Guardianship and Declaration of Incapacitation
Establishing Guardianship and Obtaining a Declaration of Incapacitation
Dependency Determination (Military)
When to Start the Transition Process
Begin Transition - Age 14-16
Exploring Possibilities and Guardianship Issues - Age 17
Age 18
After High School Graduation - Age 19-22
Post High School Education Options
Future Housing Options
Specialized Medical Equipment
Wheelchair Evaluation
Wheelchair Safety
Introduction: Special Needs and the Military Family
DEERS & ID Cards
Dependency Determination
TriCare Introduction
TriCare Program Options
Exceptional Family Member Program (EFMP)
Individual Case Management
TriCare Extended Care Health Option (ECHO)
Early Intervention
Housing Options
Family Support Services
Community Contacts
Letters of Medical Sufficiency
Wheelchair Accessible Vans
Van Conversion: A good Example
Fund Raising - The Flamingo Air Project
Utah DSPD Complaint List Winter 2011

Get Diagnosed

Disabilities come in a broad range of symptoms and appearances. Some disabilities, such as Down Syndrome, Hydrocephaly, Spina Bifida or Paralysis are easily seen and can often be diagnosed at birth. Others, such as Autism (Aspergers Disorder/Syndrome), mild Cerebral Palsy or Developmental Delay are not so easily noticed and can take years before symptoms become noticeable enough for a parent to seek a diagnosis.

You've done the initial test(s) and you have your family doctor's diagnosis and opinion, now is the time to get a second opinion. This is not about questioning your doctor's abilities. This is about making absolutely sure that you and your doctor are in complete agreement as to what the problem truly is. Sometimes a team approach to diagnosing and treating your child will result in better treatment and care. There may also be more information gained by seeking an opinion from a specialist that will help you acquire the additional information and insight you may need. Especially when it comes time to order treatments and apply for specific benefits programs.

Obtain a second opinion by requesting one through your current family physician or pediatrician. You may also ask your attending physician if your child is an in-patient at a treatment facility or hospital. Insurance companies can also request and set up a second opinion for you with one of their panel physicians. (Click the "Insurance" button for more information)

Most often it is up to you, the parent, to request the second opinion. Most physicians will advise this, but on the off chance that they don't, you, as the parent, need to remember that you can take the initiative in having this done.

Remember, Ask, Ask, and Ask! Be sure you understand your child's medical diagnosis and the treatments proposed by the physician.