Home Resource Links Forms Newsletter Utah Bulletin Board FAQ Contact Us About Us Site Map  
Getting Started
Get Diagnosed
Gathering Important Information
Organizing Your Information
The Educated Parent
Early Intervention
What To Do First
What is Early Intervention?
Keeping an IEP Notebook
Preparing for an IEP Meeting
Conducting an IEP Meeting
Individuals With Disabilities Act
IDEA ACT - A Quick Reference
IDEA Legal Text
Family Finances
Recommended Resources
Introduction to Universal Housing Design
Housing options
Building a New House ~ That Works!
Introduction to Universal Housing Design
Entrances and Thresholds
Single Family Home Resources
Remodeled Bathroom
Ceiling Lifts
Problem Spaces
Adding a Ramp
Good Restroom
Not So Good Restrooms
Great Space Adaptions
Not So Great Adaptations
Ramp Design
Ramp Design (Part 2)
Commercial Ramps
Public Access Ramps
Adding a Ramp
Retrofit Door Sill Ramp
Medical Bills
Filing an Appeal
Medical Expenses and Income Taxes
Finding Help for the Uninsured or Underinsured
Free or Discounted Prescription Programs
Medicaid Waivers
Legal Adults - Introduction
Guardianship and Declaration of Incapacitation
Establishing Guardianship and Obtaining a Declaration of Incapacitation
Dependency Determination (Military)
When to Start the Transition Process
Begin Transition - Age 14-16
Exploring Possibilities and Guardianship Issues - Age 17
Age 18
After High School Graduation - Age 19-22
Post High School Education Options
Future Housing Options
Specialized Medical Equipment
Wheelchair Evaluation
Wheelchair Safety
Introduction: Special Needs and the Military Family
DEERS & ID Cards
Dependency Determination
TriCare Introduction
TriCare Program Options
Exceptional Family Member Program (EFMP)
Individual Case Management
TriCare Extended Care Health Option (ECHO)
Early Intervention
Housing Options
Family Support Services
Community Contacts
Letters of Medical Sufficiency
Wheelchair Accessible Vans
Van Conversion: A good Example
Fund Raising - The Flamingo Air Project
Utah DSPD Complaint List Winter 2011

Dependency Determinations (Military)

**Note: In this section we will be dealing only with the process required to obtain an ID card and a Dependency Determination listing on DEERS for a disabled family member. See Military Section for further programs.

Each Branch of service has a specific process required for Dependency Determinations and issuing ID cards. The Sponsor MUST have a current Incapacitation/Guardianship court order signed by a judge in their possession at the time an ID card with a Dependency Determination is applied for. It is best to enquire at your branch DEERS office regarding Determination authority, the proper initiating office, current requirements and regulations and to obtain the proper forms.

For reference we have used the current Air Force enrollment information.

* NOTE! ALL branches of service require the same basic documentation listed below to process a Dependency Determination and issue an ID card. DD form numbers may change with the branch of service but the "proof" documents required will remain the same. This information is meant as a starting point for you and an illustration of where to begin. ALWAYS check with your local DEERS, MPF, or Family Support Office for current, up to date information.

Air Force

Active Duty, Air National Guard, Air Force Reserve and Individual Member Augmentee (IMA)

Dependency Determinations are accomplished by the DFAS-IN (initiated by your local finance office) and is required for the following categories of dependants in accordance with Air Force Instruction 36-3026 to receive ID cards:

  • Incapacitated children, over the age of 21
  • Incapacitated Student (21-22 years of age)
  • Parents, Parents-In-Law, Stepparents and Parents-By-Adoption

For Eligibility Criteria request a current copy of ;

DD Form 137-5

"Table 4.5 Eligibility Criteria, Required Documentation to Apply, and Approved Documentation Required for ID Card Issue Incapacitated Children Over the Age of 21 (Initial Application)"

This form explains the Eligibility Criteria, the Documentation Required to apply (MUST be current), and the Approved Documentation Required for Issue of the ID Card (MUST BE CURRENT). We've included this information below. A copy of the AF136-3026(I) TABLE 4.6 may also be needed for reference.

Dependency Requirements and Documentation

  • Incapacitated children, over the age of 21
  • Parents marriage certificate, child's birth certificate, a SSN card, a medical sufficiency statement, or Physicians statement from a uniformed services medical treatment facility, a favorable dependency determination, letter from the Social Security Administration indicating the child is not eligible for Medicare, Part A, and a statement that the child is not married.
  • Incapacitated Student (21-22 years of age)
  • Parent's marriage Certificate, SSN Card, a letter from the school certifying full-time status at the incapacitation took place, a medical sufficiency statement, and a favorable dependency determination, letter from the Social Security Administration indicating that the child is not eligible for Medicare, Part A, and a statement that the child is unmarried. If the sponsor is deceased, a copy of the death certificate is also required. Parents, Parents-In-Law, Stepparents and Parents-By-Adoption
  • The sponsor's or spouse's birth certificate (as applicable), a favorable dependency determination, and a personal ID each time an ID card is issued, SSN card.
  • Current court order declaring an Incapacitation, assigned Guardianship of the dependent and any addendums required by the court.

Always check with your local MPF and DEERS office for the latest information required by your branch of service and the initiating authority for this determination. There are variations between both Branches of Service and the Base or Post you may be assigned to. ALWAYS ASK, NEVER ASSUME!!!

We recommend Sponsors make copies of all forms and keep them on file. Copies may often be used when originals become "lost" in the office shuffle. A binder with page protectors can be an easy portable storage option for individuals needing to reference paperwork often. Once the application has been made, processed and cards issued most original forms may be returned to you. Keep them in your binder. You will need them later when applying for other programs.