Home Resource Links Forms Newsletter Utah Bulletin Board FAQ Contact Us About Us Site Map  
Getting Started
Get Diagnosed
Gathering Important Information
Organizing Your Information
The Educated Parent
Early Intervention
What To Do First
What is Early Intervention?
Keeping an IEP Notebook
Preparing for an IEP Meeting
Conducting an IEP Meeting
Individuals With Disabilities Act
IDEA ACT - A Quick Reference
IDEA Legal Text
Family Finances
Recommended Resources
Introduction to Universal Housing Design
Housing options
Building a New House ~ That Works!
Introduction to Universal Housing Design
Entrances and Thresholds
Single Family Home Resources
Remodeled Bathroom
Ceiling Lifts
Problem Spaces
Adding a Ramp
Good Restroom
Not So Good Restrooms
Great Space Adaptions
Not So Great Adaptations
Ramp Design
Ramp Design (Part 2)
Commercial Ramps
Public Access Ramps
Adding a Ramp
Retrofit Door Sill Ramp
Medical Bills
Filing an Appeal
Medical Expenses and Income Taxes
Finding Help for the Uninsured or Underinsured
Free or Discounted Prescription Programs
Medicaid Waivers
Legal Adults - Introduction
Guardianship and Declaration of Incapacitation
Establishing Guardianship and Obtaining a Declaration of Incapacitation
Dependency Determination (Military)
When to Start the Transition Process
Begin Transition - Age 14-16
Exploring Possibilities and Guardianship Issues - Age 17
Age 18
After High School Graduation - Age 19-22
Post High School Education Options
Future Housing Options
Specialized Medical Equipment
Wheelchair Evaluation
Wheelchair Safety
Introduction: Special Needs and the Military Family
DEERS & ID Cards
Dependency Determination
TriCare Introduction
TriCare Program Options
Exceptional Family Member Program (EFMP)
Individual Case Management
TriCare Extended Care Health Option (ECHO)
Early Intervention
Housing Options
Family Support Services
Community Contacts
Letters of Medical Sufficiency
Wheelchair Accessible Vans
Van Conversion: A good Example
Fund Raising - The Flamingo Air Project
Utah DSPD Complaint List Winter 2011

Housing Options

One of the first things a family with a special needs member must do when changing duty stations is contact the Base/Post housing office at their new duty station. Availability of housing is the biggest concern when making a station change. Not all Bases or Posts have single level accessible housing available for those who cannot negotiate stairs. If there is accessible housing on Base there is generally a long waiting list. It is imperative to get on that list as soon as possible!

If the waiting list for accessible housing is substantial, be sure to discuss what other options are available in that area with the Base Housing Contract Manager. Many duty stations are providing contracted, off post, housing with appropriate housing allowances. They should be able to assist you in locating local accessible housing within mandated travel range to your duty station. For civilian housing options go to the "Housing" section of this web site. One of these options may work better for you. You may also qualify for loans under VA, HUD, and FHA programs. Be sure to check those programs out.

Don't forget. You will qualify for full BHA if you are forced by lack of available military housing to live in the Civilian community. Be sure to check with the MPO at your duty station for all regulations and to ensure these benefits are paid out to you. It will be important to also check your monthly LES to ensure that benefit is being paid.