Home Resource Links Forms Newsletter Utah Bulletin Board FAQ Contact Us About Us Site Map  
Getting Started
Get Diagnosed
Gathering Important Information
Organizing Your Information
The Educated Parent
Early Intervention
What To Do First
What is Early Intervention?
Keeping an IEP Notebook
Preparing for an IEP Meeting
Conducting an IEP Meeting
Individuals With Disabilities Act
IDEA ACT - A Quick Reference
IDEA Legal Text
Family Finances
Recommended Resources
Introduction to Universal Housing Design
Housing options
Building a New House ~ That Works!
Introduction to Universal Housing Design
Entrances and Thresholds
Single Family Home Resources
Remodeled Bathroom
Ceiling Lifts
Problem Spaces
Adding a Ramp
Good Restroom
Not So Good Restrooms
Great Space Adaptions
Not So Great Adaptations
Ramp Design
Ramp Design (Part 2)
Commercial Ramps
Public Access Ramps
Adding a Ramp
Retrofit Door Sill Ramp
Medical Bills
Filing an Appeal
Medical Expenses and Income Taxes
Finding Help for the Uninsured or Underinsured
Free or Discounted Prescription Programs
Medicaid Waivers
Legal Adults - Introduction
Guardianship and Declaration of Incapacitation
Establishing Guardianship and Obtaining a Declaration of Incapacitation
Dependency Determination (Military)
When to Start the Transition Process
Begin Transition - Age 14-16
Exploring Possibilities and Guardianship Issues - Age 17
Age 18
After High School Graduation - Age 19-22
Post High School Education Options
Future Housing Options
Specialized Medical Equipment
Wheelchair Evaluation
Wheelchair Safety
Introduction: Special Needs and the Military Family
DEERS & ID Cards
Dependency Determination
TriCare Introduction
TriCare Program Options
Exceptional Family Member Program (EFMP)
Individual Case Management
TriCare Extended Care Health Option (ECHO)
Early Intervention
Housing Options
Family Support Services
Community Contacts
Letters of Medical Sufficiency
Wheelchair Accessible Vans
Van Conversion: A good Example
Fund Raising - The Flamingo Air Project
Utah DSPD Complaint List Winter 2011

After High School Graduation

Age 19-22

Your State office of Education is responsible for education issues. Your child has the right to remain in school until age 22 (See IDEA ACT 2004 Part B). Your IEP plan can determine whether or not your child should remain in the educational system beyond the age of 18. During these extra years he/she can focus on improving basic academic skills, gaining independence, and further vocational and social skills. Your child may want to graduate with their graduating class and it is appropriate should they so choose. But they should receive a Certificate of Completion, not a diploma. If the student is awarded a diploma, they are NOT allowed to return to the school system.

One important note: Just because your child leaves the school system does not guarantee they will be automatically accepted into adult services.

One important transition occurring in this time period is the transition from school into the "real" world. Leaving the school system at age 22 should be as smooth a transition as possible and will be if the proper steps are taken before hand.

To be the best advocate for you child go out and visit the programs and community options available in your area. Use your best judgment in choosing, or discarding, the program right for your child's unique circumstances. This should be accomplished BEFORE your child's 21st year. This is the time to learn all you can about your area Adult Services for people with disabilities. Be sure that your Critical Needs assessment (A DSPD Function. Ask your Case Manger if it has not been mentioned to you) is updated BEFORE age 22 and your child is on the DSPD Division waiting list for adult services.