Home Resource Links Forms Newsletter Utah Bulletin Board FAQ Contact Us About Us Site Map  
Getting Started
Get Diagnosed
Gathering Important Information
Organizing Your Information
The Educated Parent
Early Intervention
What To Do First
What is Early Intervention?
Keeping an IEP Notebook
Preparing for an IEP Meeting
Conducting an IEP Meeting
Individuals With Disabilities Act
IDEA ACT - A Quick Reference
IDEA Legal Text
Family Finances
Recommended Resources
Introduction to Universal Housing Design
Housing options
Building a New House ~ That Works!
Introduction to Universal Housing Design
Entrances and Thresholds
Single Family Home Resources
Remodeled Bathroom
Ceiling Lifts
Problem Spaces
Adding a Ramp
Good Restroom
Not So Good Restrooms
Great Space Adaptions
Not So Great Adaptations
Ramp Design
Ramp Design (Part 2)
Commercial Ramps
Public Access Ramps
Adding a Ramp
Retrofit Door Sill Ramp
Medical Bills
Filing an Appeal
Medical Expenses and Income Taxes
Finding Help for the Uninsured or Underinsured
Free or Discounted Prescription Programs
Medicaid Waivers
Legal Adults - Introduction
Guardianship and Declaration of Incapacitation
Establishing Guardianship and Obtaining a Declaration of Incapacitation
Dependency Determination (Military)
When to Start the Transition Process
Begin Transition - Age 14-16
Exploring Possibilities and Guardianship Issues - Age 17
Age 18
After High School Graduation - Age 19-22
Post High School Education Options
Future Housing Options
Specialized Medical Equipment
Wheelchair Evaluation
Wheelchair Safety
Introduction: Special Needs and the Military Family
DEERS & ID Cards
Dependency Determination
TriCare Introduction
TriCare Program Options
Exceptional Family Member Program (EFMP)
Individual Case Management
TriCare Extended Care Health Option (ECHO)
Early Intervention
Housing Options
Family Support Services
Community Contacts
Letters of Medical Sufficiency
Wheelchair Accessible Vans
Van Conversion: A good Example
Fund Raising - The Flamingo Air Project
Utah DSPD Complaint List Winter 2011

Early Intervention (Military)

Most Early Intervention Programs consist of treatment programs designed to assist infants, toddlers and small children (generally ages birth though age 5) in the beginning stages of development. Professionals you may be asked to see might include a Developmental or Applied Behavioral Specialist, Occupational Therapist, Physical Therapist, Speech Language Pathologist, Pediatric Audiologist or a Pediatric Ophthalmologist. You may be asked to see other Specialists as well, depending on what it is your child needs. Each child is treated as an individual and by need.

Do not wait. Begin this process as soon as possible!

Early Intervention services and programs are provided for infants and children from Birth to age 5. These programs are generally administered through your State's Department of Health and range from medical and therapeutic treatment referrals for occupational, Speech and Physical therapies, to early social skills needed to begin school and parent training. Most communities have a variety of programs available. To find a program in your area call the local office of your State's Department of Health and ask for the Early Intervention Coordinator. Your Pediatrician should also be able to get you started in finding those programs available to you. (See RESOURCE LINKS)

Once your child has been enrolled in an appropriate Early Intervention program in your area the next step is to contact your State Division of Services for People With Disabilities and request information for Medicaid Waiver programs and other additional services as needed.

For most parents this will be your first contact with a government program. Request as much information as you possibly can concerning any other services your child and family may be eligible for. These services can include: Family Support Services, referrals to a Family Council Support Group in your area, Respite Care, etc. They can also assist you in applying for Medicaid, if you have a low income, or a Medicaid waiver if medically qualified but non-income eligible.


Information Links

Early Childhood Technical Assistance Center

The Division for Early Childhood - DEC

Zero to Three