Home Resource Links Forms Newsletter Utah Bulletin Board FAQ Contact Us About Us Site Map  
Getting Started
Get Diagnosed
Gathering Important Information
Organizing Your Information
The Educated Parent
Early Intervention
What To Do First
What is Early Intervention?
Keeping an IEP Notebook
Preparing for an IEP Meeting
Conducting an IEP Meeting
Individuals With Disabilities Act
IDEA ACT - A Quick Reference
IDEA Legal Text
Family Finances
Recommended Resources
Introduction to Universal Housing Design
Housing options
Building a New House ~ That Works!
Introduction to Universal Housing Design
Entrances and Thresholds
Single Family Home Resources
Remodeled Bathroom
Ceiling Lifts
Problem Spaces
Adding a Ramp
Good Restroom
Not So Good Restrooms
Great Space Adaptions
Not So Great Adaptations
Ramp Design
Ramp Design (Part 2)
Commercial Ramps
Public Access Ramps
Adding a Ramp
Retrofit Door Sill Ramp
Medical Bills
Filing an Appeal
Medical Expenses and Income Taxes
Finding Help for the Uninsured or Underinsured
Free or Discounted Prescription Programs
Medicaid Waivers
Legal Adults - Introduction
Guardianship and Declaration of Incapacitation
Establishing Guardianship and Obtaining a Declaration of Incapacitation
Dependency Determination (Military)
When to Start the Transition Process
Begin Transition - Age 14-16
Exploring Possibilities and Guardianship Issues - Age 17
Age 18
After High School Graduation - Age 19-22
Post High School Education Options
Future Housing Options
Specialized Medical Equipment
Wheelchair Evaluation
Wheelchair Safety
Introduction: Special Needs and the Military Family
DEERS & ID Cards
Dependency Determination
TriCare Introduction
TriCare Program Options
Exceptional Family Member Program (EFMP)
Individual Case Management
TriCare Extended Care Health Option (ECHO)
Early Intervention
Housing Options
Family Support Services
Community Contacts
Letters of Medical Sufficiency
Wheelchair Accessible Vans
Van Conversion: A good Example
Fund Raising - The Flamingo Air Project
Utah DSPD Complaint List Winter 2011

Family Support Services

Once you have arrived on Base/Post, have housing squared away, in-processed with your unit, enrolled in DEERS and completed the rest of the in-processing procedures, the next place to visit is your Base/Post Family Support office. You will be able to locate a large number of Community based recreation and schooling services as well as those provided on Base/Post. Check for activities and services that will be accessible to your family member. Some offices also have schooling information regarding schools in the area as well as other programs provided by that specific office. Not all Family Support programs are created equal and don't always offer the same programs. Be sure to ASK!!!! Base/Unit Family Assistance coordinators (FACs) may also be able to help you locate programs not provided on station but available in the community.

If you're really in a bind don't forget to check in with your local Chaplain's office.

It has been Linda's personal experience that a Chaplain or his assistant, no matter the denomination, are handy persons to know when you need assistance. Chaplains and their staffs are trained advocates who understand the military way of doing things and can move mountains when need be. Be sure to get acquainted with your Base or unit Chaplain and staff, regardless of your denomination. They are there for you and your family. Let them help when they can.